Position Description: Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the President serves as the Chief Executive Officer of The Murray County Chamber of Commerce. The President is responsible for the overall operation of the chamber, including but not limited to: planning, policy development, financial management, market development, promoting and enhancing the economic well-being of members. The President/CEO will also be responsible for the management and supervision of staff.
Primary Focus: Develop, promote, and cultivate programs to market, grow and retain the Chamber and its membership.
Specific Job Related Duties:
- Member/Public Relations: Develops and maintains professional relationships with all groups in the area. Represent the Chamber at various meetings and functions. Directs and coordinates all chamber programs to include: economic development, membership programs and services. Participates in State and local Legislative affairs.
- Membership: Maintains and increases membership and participation of both Board of Directors and Chamber members. Enhances and communicates to businesses the need to support an active chamber program. Interacts and visits frequently with businesses and business owners, both members and non-members, regarding their needs and develops a plan of action to support and promote the businesses in the community. Must be able to recruit and support retail development and have a working partnership with IDA.
- Marketing & Communications: Communicates effectively to and with Chamber members, the Board of Directors, and the public. Demonstrates experience with various forms of marketing and media (print, personal, internet applications, and social media)
- Financial Management: Prepares an annual budget in conjunction with Board of Directors. Manages payroll, expenditures and assures that budget guidelines are met. Manages Chamber finances, approves expenditures, prepares monthly financial statements and presents monthly to the Board of Directors.
- Policy: Plans, in consultation with the Board of Directors, long range policies for achievement of important community goals. Reviews proposals or projects originating in committee or elsewhere and recommends appropriate action to the Board of Directors. Works with staff and/or committees to implement policies. Coordinates work of all committees.
- Planning: Plans and organizes the activities of the Chamber so as to advance the economic, cultural, and civic welfare of the region and its members. Advises the Board on the development of the strategic plan and the changing trends in industry and economic policies that affect the local markets.
- Human Resource Administration: Recruits, hires, trains, and supervises performance management development and dismissal of all paid staff. Supervises committees and coordinates and recruits volunteers.
Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience
3 years of Chamber or equivalent experience preferred
Management and/or Leadership experience required
Compelling and effective public speaking skills and a strong initiative
Attendance at a wide variety of meetings, seminars, Chamber and community events held both day and evening an occasionally on weekends
Salary plus benefits: DOE
Please email resume and letter of interest to:
ATTN: Marina O’Donnell
A Chamber of Commerce is an association of business people concerned about improving the area in which they do business and the area in which they live, the area in which they've made their greatest investments. Both large and small businesses from virtually every profession are represented and they influence the interests and concerns of the Chamber.
The Chamber accomplishes collectively what no other business could do alone, and is only as strong as members allow it to be, through their support. You are invited to become a member of the Murray County Chamber of Commerce. Your membership is the best investment you can make. Join to begin enjoying the benefits that Chamber membership imparts to your business or organization. Call the Chamber office for information at (706) 695-6060. Thank you for supporting Murray County Chamber members!